Sunday, March 27, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Malted Crisp Tart


Who needs a candy bar when you could have a tart like this? I have been waiting for a Baked malt recipe to make like a five-year-old waits for Christmas morning. Or maybe a birthday cake. Because this was my birthday present to myself and it pretty much made my week. This is top-to-bottom malty, chocolate nirvana. I've made chocolate chip malt cookies before, but this takes the soda shop flavor to a whole new level.


 

I would say that my tart turned out perfectly, except for the addition of caramelized rice krispies. They never got browned, just chewy and sweet. Not the texture contrast they were intended to be, that's for sure. So I dumped them and continued on with the recipe. We didn't really miss them. The chopped malt balls in the filling and the brown sugar cookie crust were both plenty of texture and flavor. I loved how sturdy the crust was, actually. I was afraid I had made it too thick, so I didn't use the entire portion of dough. As luck would have it, it was just right. Just right for picking up and nibbling on, that is. Fewer dishes to wash.

 

The diplomat cream topping was a little bit of a challenge; it turned out very loose. Next time I'll beat the whipped cream to slightly firmer peaks, maybe. It was delicious, though. It reminds me of Tiramisu filling: a Marsala-flavored custard folded into whipped cream. The technique was similar- the flavor was incredible. Imagine a malt flavored custard and tell me you wouldn't be licking the bowl. I would have been a little more upset about how difficult it was to slice a piece, but it was so decadent, I didn't even care. So my diplomat cream is soft and drape-y instead of standing in perfect layers. If it tastes this good, I'm fine with it.

 

This little slice of heaven has been brought to you by Baked Sunday Mornings. Jump over to the main page and check out the other bloggers' versions of the Malted Crisp Tart; the recipe will be there, too.

 Next time: Carrot Coconut Scones. As much as I adore chocolate, I think I'm ready to bake something that's not brown (however tasty it might be!). There's been an abundance of cocoa on this blog, but I'm going vegetarian in my next post. It'll be heathy and delicious.






12 comments:

  1. looks great! I adored this recipe and loved the cream. yours looks smooth and silky. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my crispies took way longer to become crisp than I had planned...like at least 30 minutes...maybe more. But they are worth it. And after setting up overnight the cream seemed to set up too. LOVE this recipe. I need to plan a whole day SOON to bake this one again! Your tart is delicious looking...I can still taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks interesting and good! I rarely eat malted chocolate candies, but this looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tart is gorgeous! My diplomat cream wasn't as stiff as I would have liked either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, my diplomat cream also was a bit loose, and I was really worried at first that it was going to run down the sides of the tart after I had applied it. Fortunately, a trip to the fridge really helped it set. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful! Strange about the krispies - and the cream. My pastry creams are usually loose anyway - the whipping cream made it even more "loose", but overall - a great tart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tart is gorgeous! I eventually had to turn up the heat to medium to get my crispies to caramelize -- but I almost gave up as well, since my arm was getting so tired from stirring for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this tart for Christmas. I had the same problem with the rice krispies. But after the third try, it worked. I kept on stirring and cooking, and they finally caramelized. I guess I wasn't patient enough b/c they do eventually crisp up.

    It was a hit, and everyone said it tasted like the best candy bar ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My cream was a little messy because I didn't let the tart set up in the frig long enough, but I didn't mind that a bit at all either. I love the simple circle of malt balls for your decorative top. Your tart looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A few mishaps but I'm sure your tart tastes just as amazing. I shared your excitement about this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tart turned out wonderfully! The oozing pastry cream actually looks quite delicious! My cream stayed together a little bit better, but I added less whipped cream than the recipe called for because I knew would be piping it onto mini tarts. It was a fun one, and I am so glad I joined the group!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tart looks great! I agree about how had it was to slice it though!

    ReplyDelete