Thursday, August 28, 2014

Greek Salad with Egg and Greens


I've missed blogging. I'm ready to get over the reasons I gave myself to stay away (not happy with my photography, my lack of cute props, my writer's block, my lack of original recipes....). I miss making great food and sharing what I've learned and created here with whoever might drop in. I'm welcoming myself back and welcoming you, as well. Let's talk about some food!
I made this salad a few weeks ago and had to recreate it to share here. I threw together some leftovers and some greens from the fridge and was amazed by how delicious it turned out. I love mediterranean flavors and everything with an egg on top. This was a great brunch/lunch: light, yet filling with lots of fresh flavors and contrasting textures.


I highly recommend saving some gyro meat from your next visit to your local Greek restaurant. And get a few extra tubs of tzatziki (or keep Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic and dill on hand and make your own!). I sauteed the meat in a little bit of butter to soften it, then piled some arugula and spinach on a plate. A few eggs were softly scrambled to wilt the greens, a few veggies added for freshness and crunch and a sprinkle of dill from our garden for extra flavor. I would have added more tomatoes, but these were salvaged from our garden which has not had the best year so far. Usually our cherry tomato plant produces so many, we can hardly keep up. Sigh.

So, this may seem like an odd combination, but everything really does go together. It makes a quick and easy lunch or dinner and packs a bunch of flavor.

Greek Salad with Egg and Greens
serves 2

1 T. butter
1-2 c. gyro meat
3-4 eggs
2-3 handfuls greens ( I used baby spinach and arugula)
1/4 c. diced onion
small handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
tzatziki sauce, to taste
chopped dill, to garnish
crumbled feta or goat cheese

Place a medium skillet over med-high heat. Add 1 T. butter and let melt. When hot, add gyro meat and stir, cooking 4-5 minutes, until warmed through. Move to a bowl. In same skillet, melt 1T. butter and add beaten eggs. Cook over medium heat, scraping bottom occasionally with heat-proof spatula, until softly scrambled.  (Alternatively, you could cook the eggs sunny-side up or poached, if you like). While eggs cook, place greens on plates. Pile warm eggs and gyro meat on greens, top with onion, tomatoes, dill and cheese. Serve immediately.








2 comments:

  1. I think your photos are beautiful and I need to make this salad:) Have a great day, lovely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the good information that was shared to us to read. Looks delicious and very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Both recipes and methods are very good.
    เอเชีย

    ReplyDelete