Friday, October 22, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie: Hachis Parmentier


It's time for another visit with French Fridays with Dorie. This week we made Hachis Parmentier, which is essentially a French shepherd's pie. I almost didn't make this. It didn't seem like it would taste like much. Just meat and potatoes? I wasn't inspired, I'll be honest. However, this is another winner and maybe the best example of approachable French food I've come across. The base is browned ground beef and sausage in a sauce with a hint of tomato. The topping is mashed potatoes, but potatoes elevated to a whole new level. It's so simple, yet full of flavor. This is comfort food at its best: easy to prepare and it has a big payoff. The man in your life will love you for it, I promise!


I read someone's response in the Problems and Questions post for this assignment that a Parmentier is a person who sings the praises of potatoes, or something like that. So this is a dish for potato lovers. It glorifies the humble potato and makes it ethereal. If for no other reason, I love the French for the way they love and respect food. The preparation for these mashed potatoes will be my go-to recipe for the fluffiest, creamiest, most flavorful potatoes ever. And the cheese on the top? Gilding the lily, my friends. It's browned Gruyere and Parmesan and it's a thing of beauty.

6 comments:

  1. That looks great! I love the simple serving with a side of green beans. I served mine with a salad. It was a perfect Sunday supper.

    Your praise of the potato topping has me thinking. The best mashed potatoes I've ever had were from an Ina Garten recipe: Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. I think I'll use them next time I make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful your potatoes look. It could pass for merange. Looks amazing! I'll be back to check out more of your posts. It's funny how somethings we aren't so sure how they will turn end up being really good. That is why I love this group. You get to make things that you might otherwise never think of trying. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I served mine with green beans, too! Great minds think alike! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! Glad this recipe was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the thing about French food, sounds too simple to be good but the technique and combination of flavors are superb! This looks so delicious...
    Louise

    ReplyDelete