Saturday, October 2, 2010

Orange and Oat Scones

 

For the first of what promises to be one of many scone recipes on this blog, I wanted to start with this one. I made it for the first time only last week and it is now one of my favorites. And I've consumed quite a few in my life. This one is a keeper.  Thank you, Heidi, for sharing this gem and I'd like to pass on the word that this is one delicious and comforting recipe.


 

This is very similar to one of my favorite scones, an oat and blueberry one I made about five times last summer because I couldn't get enough of that chewy texture and nutty flavor oatmeal gives to baked goods. The fruit element is represented by dried currants and I adore them. I've never been a big fan of raisins, but I've used golden ones in things like granola and those are good, but these little babies pack a jammy, almost wine-y flavor that is addicting and so much better to me than regular raisins. Really. You should try them. Especially in this recipe. This might be the best way to show them off: with the brightness and fragrance of orange zest, nestled into a densely woven, chewy scone dough.

 

 Maybe most importantly, be sure to have the right accessories to go with your treat. A cup of tea and a sociable cat go so well with freshly baked scones. My recommendation is  Earl Grey--the orange in the scone and the bergamot in the tea would be a match made in heaven. So grab a good book and then curl up with a great scone.


 

Orange and Oat Scones

makes 8 extra-large scones

3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. turbinado sugar ( I used brown sugar)
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 sticks butter, in small pieces
2 c. rolled oats
zest of 1 orange
1 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. coarse turbinado sugar
2/3 c. dried currants

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine flour, turbinado sugar, baking powder and baking soda in food processor ( I also added a pinch of salt). Add butter and pulse until it looks like sandy pearls (15-20 pulses). Move to a bowl and stir in oats and zest. Stir in buttermilk and currants just until moistened. Bring dough together with hands and pat into 8" round. Cut into wedges and move to baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 12-15 minutes, until bottoms are deeply golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment